Thanksgiving Appetizer: Warm Feta, Fig, and Olives
This dish is the perfect appetizer for not only Thanksgiving, but for any meal you serve!
With minimal prep, it simply bakes in the oven, and can be served directly from the pan or skillet. Not only is this recipe fast and easy, it is also gluten-free, low-carb, and vegetarian so you can have no guilt while snacking on this before your main meal.
Warm Feta, Fig, and Olives
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
What You Need
- 8 oz block of feta cheese
- 1 cup black or brown Mission figs, stems removed and cut in half
- 8-10 oz of green Spanish olives
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of light amber agave
- Freshly ground black pepper and kosher sea salt, to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds for garnishing
- Crackers or crusty bread for serving
What You Will Do
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the figs in half and place to the side.
- Strain and rinse the olives.
- In an oven safe baking dish or saucepan, add the block of feta cheese and arrange the olives and figs around the feta.
- Over the top of the feta, drizzle the olive oil, and agave.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper and salt and the thyme.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Change the oven to broil, on High for an additional 5 minutes, until the feta has browned on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with the pomegranate seeds.
- Serve immediately with crackers or crusty bread of your choosing.
- This will stay in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 days.
- To reheat, you can microwave this dish in 20-second increments, testing the temperature of the feta as you go. You do not want the center to boil.
Now the last thing you have to do, as my daughter would say is, "Eat, Eat."