Steak Salad: Picky Eater Approved
I normally discuss my daughters’ favorite foods, it’s pretty easy because she has so many. My son however does tend to be a pickier eater. This is why this recipe is such a big deal to me. A few of my son’s favorite foods are steak and mozzarella cheese. This is why I love this recipe so much. My children love to eat this salad without any dressing. I however, feel that this salad pairs perfectly with my homemade pesto sauce which I detailed below or linked here "The Mighty Pesto". This pesto dressing perfectly adds a zesty flavor to the steak and pairs beautifully with the heirloom tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. To bulk up the recipe a bit for the adults eating this, I like to sneak in some hearty portobella mushrooms and some creamy avocado. I feel doing so truly takes this from a salad to a full-fledged meal!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 18 minutes
What You Need
For the Caprese:
- 1 pound any cut of steak, I used a filet mignon
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, both regular and cherry, halved and quartered
- ½ shallot chopped finely
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into bite-size pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Portobella mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- 2 avocados, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons freshly torn basil
For the Pesto:
- 2 packed cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted or not
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
What You Will Do
Make the Pesto Dressing:
- In a high-powered blender or a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, parmesan, pepper and salt.
- Blend for until very smooth this may take a few minutes. I recommend checking after a few pulses to reach your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and place in a bowl to the side.
Make the Steak:
- Remove your steak from the refrigerator prior to cooking. Allow to reach room temperature. This will take about 10-15 minutes and season generously with salt and pepper.
- When you’re ready to cook, heat a grill to medium high heat or if you are cooking indoors than use a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add ½ teaspoon of olive oil and allow it to warm.
- Place the steak on the grill or cast-iron skillet and cook until medium or medium rare, 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on your preference.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes covered with foil.
Make the Caprese:
- Chop up the tomatoes and place on the bottom of a large serving platter or serving bowl.
- Then slice the portobella mushrooms and place on top of the tomatoes.
- Then halve and slice the avocadoes and place on top of the portobello mushrooms.
- Then lay the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Remove the steak from the tinfoil and slice the steak across the grain and nestle the slices onto the top of the Caprese salad.
- Top with the freshly torn basil and drizzle the pesto dressing and serve immediately!
- If You have leftover pesto dressing you can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days, or in the freezer in a Ziploc bag for up to 3 months.
Now the last thing you have to do as my daughter would say is Eat, Eat. Actually, as this is a recipe for my son, I should correct myself. Now the last thing you have to do as my son would say is “YAY MEAT”!!! Enjoy!