Chicken Fajita Salad
Dinner Salads are the best. That’s it, that’s my whole sentence.
They are filling and yet clean, easy and fast, and can qualify as meal prep as you can eat them for a few days. I love to make the salad for dinner and then separate out the ingredients to box up for my lunches, or use the chicken and peppers in my children’s lunches.
You can sauté some fresh chicken as I did below, or use any leftover rotisserie chicken, or holiday turkey or even ham. There is no wrong combination of protein to make this salad delicious and filling. With such a zesty flavor you have to give this salad a try!
Chicken Fajita Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
What You Need
For the Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
For the Salad:
- 2 cloves garlic minced, finely
- 4-5 cups market spring mix salad
- 3 corns on the cob, boiled, kernels removed
- 2 cups sautéed bell peppers
- 2 shallots sliced and sauteed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 avocados sliced
- 8 oz shredded Cotija cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, torn
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
What You Will Do:
- In a medium-large pan, warm the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add in the cut-up peppers, shallots, and garlic and sauté until soft, this takes about 5 minutes. Remove and cover with tinfoil and place to the side.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the garlic powder, cumin, Herbs de Provence, salt and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken thighs or breasts in a large sealable plastic bag and add the seasoning. Close the bag and mix the chicken into the seasonings.
- Place the chicken into the same large pan you used to cook the peppers and shallots and cook, 6-8 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through. You will know this if you cut into the chicken and it is no longer pink. Or using a meat thermometer inserted into the middle of the chicken, making sure it is reading 165° F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover with tinfoil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken against the grain and place to the side while you assemble the other ingredients.
- Cut the avocados in half and slice.
- Bring a pot of heavily salted (2 tablespoons) water to a boil, place in the 3 corns on the cob and boil for 3 minutes until soft. Remove and allow to cool. Once the corn is cooled remove the kernels from the corn with a paring knife.
- On a large serving platter or bowl arrange the greens.
- This is then followed by the corn, and sliced avocado.
- This is then followed by the tomatoes and then the peppers, shallots and chicken.
- Top with the Cotija Cheese and freshly torn cilantro.
- Whisk the ingredients for the vinaigrette together and drizzle over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
- This salad will maintain in the refrigerator for 24 hours if the greens are mixed in. If you keep the ingredients separate this will last for 3 days in an airtight container.
Now the last thing you have to do, as my daughter would say, is Eat, Eat.