Lemon and Pepper Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
What is more classic than an herb roasted chicken? Its surprisingly easy, you just prep the chicken and vegetables and throw it in the oven. Your entire family will love the subtle yet bright flavors of the lemon and vegetables and you will love the feeling of eating a comfort food that is actually good for you. Not only is this meal delicious, it's an amazingly inexpensive way to feed your family!
This recipe is actually very similar to my Thanksgiving Miracle: Too Easy Turkey if you want to take a look.
Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
What You Need
- 1 whole chicken, at least 5 lbs
- 3 tablespoons of room temperature butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- the juice of 2 lemons and the full lemons for flavor
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 yellow potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 2 shallots, chopped finely
- 4 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 3 sweet peppers, chopped roughly
What You Will Do
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix the minced garlic, butter, cumin, rosemary, lemon juice, and half of the olive oil (1 tablespoon).
- As for the chicken, gently separate the skin from the flesh and spoon in half of the marinade mixture; use your hands to spread it around as thoroughly as possible.
- Spread the remaining half over the top of the chicken and then season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Inside the cavity of the chicken, stuff with the lemons you used for juicing.
- Mix the potato, shallots, carrots, sweet peppers, remaining olive oil, garlic powder and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Arrange the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan, position the rosemary sprigs and chicken on top, breast side up.
- Roast for 30 minutes, until the skin is lightly browned.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and roast for another 30 minutes.
- The chicken is done when the juices between the breast and the leg run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted deep into the thigh reads 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with the vegetables.
- This will stay in the refrigerator for 4 days in an airtight container.
Now the last thing you have to do, as my daughter would say, is "Eat, Eat."