The Five-Minute No Sit-ups Ab Workout
Sick of doing sit-ups? Not seeing the results you're looking for? Check out this 5-minute ab workout that will really shape and tone the abdominals, back and hips. This workout will get your heart rate up, burning calories while you really work those abdominal muscles. Form is key with any muscle group, but especially for the abdominals. Work from the core, ensure that your body is aligned and you'll have a rockin' pair of abs in no time.
Grab a dumbbell and let's get started!
- Halo Chop – Grab a dumbbell (end to end) and bring it toward your hip. Pivot the back foot. Take the dumbbell over the head and to the opposite hip.
- Lateral, Lunge, and Lean – Take the dumbbell into your hand. You'll take a step out to the side, and reach your hand to the inside of the ankle. Then reach up with the dumbbell and lean across the body.
- Forearm Plank with Sidearm Raise – In plank position, perform a sidearm raise, alternating between your left arm and your right arm. The key to this exercise is to not rotate/open the chest. Work from the core.
- Side Plank – In side plank position, drop the hips and lift back up. Make sure your hips are aligned.
- Half Turkish Get-Ups – Laying on your back, extend the dumbbell straight up over the shoulder. Straighten the opposite leg. Roll yourself up into near-sitting position. Then reach straight up with the dumbbell while extending your hips. Reverse. Go back toward sitting position, and then roll back down into starting position. Repeat.