Bowflex JRNY™ Platform FAQ
- What’s included with the paid Bowflex JRNY™ app subscription?
- How does dynamic coaching work?
- How does Max tailor my experience?
- Which workouts are subscription-only?
- Will the Bowflex JRNY™ app have real-time connection to my workout?
- Can I use my Max Trainer® M8 or M6 cardio machine without a subscription?
- Can I use the Bowflex JRNY™ app without a subscription?
- Which workouts are available for free?
- Can I stream music through another app while using the Bowflex JRNY™ app?
- How much does a Bowflex JRNY™ subscription cost?
- When does my subscription become “active”?
- What happens when I cancel my subscription prior to the renewal or full-term of purchase?
- How do I cancel my Bowflex JRNY™ App subscription?
- If I return my machine within the 6-week satisfaction period, will my Bowflex JRNY™ subscription automatically be terminated? Will I get a full refund of the subscription price?
- What devices are compatible with the Bowflex JRNY™ app?
- How many individual user profiles can I set up for my household?
- If I subscribe, does the subscription work for all user profiles on my machine?
- What is the fitness assessment?
- Can I retake the fitness assessment?
- Is the fitness assessment subscription-only?
- How do I complete the fitness assessment?
- How do I adjust my customized workouts?
- How do I get Max to choose a different customized workout?
- Why can’t I access customized workouts past a certain time length?
- Can I pause or stop a customized workout?
- What is the channel screen?
- What is the home screen?
- What is the workouts screen?
- What is the journal screen?
- How do I know if I have successfully paired my device to my machine?
- I can’t pair my smart phone/tablet to my machine. How can I troubleshoot my Bluetooth® connection?
- Is it normal for my machine console to go dark?
- Will Max record my workouts if i’m offline?
- What happens if there is a brief issue with my wifi connection during a workout?
- How does the Bowflex JRNY™ app differ from the Max Trainer™ app?
- Will development continue for the Max Trainer™ app for M5 and M7?
- Can I share my user profile with someone else in my household?
- Can I delete workouts from my workout log?
- How do I adjust my goals?
- How do I recover my password?
- What does the confirmation code email look like?
- How long does the confirmation code remain valid?
- What if I forgot my email address?
- How do Bowflex JRNY™ app updates work?
- How do Max Trainer firmware updates work?
- How do I know if I have a premium subscription?
- Why can’t I hear the coaching on my device?
- Can I use Bluetooth® devices for Bowflex JRNY™ app audio?
- Why is the Bowflex JRNY™ app taking longer to load on my Android device than it used to?
- Why is my Android device crashing when I launch the Bowflex JRNY™ app?
- What do the sounds/tones throughout the Bowflex JRNY™ app mean?
- Can I turn off workout tones?
- Can I mute Max but keep the audio tones?
- Do I need to be connected to the internet for the Bowflex JRNY™ app to work?
- What do I do if the Bowflex JRNY™ app is stuck on the loading screen?
- Where do I put my smart phone or tablet while using the Bowflex JRNY™ app with my Max Trainer machine?
- How do I navigate inside a screen?
- Does the Bowflex JRNY™ app work in landscape mode?
- How do I complete programs not featured in the Bowflex JRNY™ app, such as “stairs”, or “calorie burn”?
- How can I share data with other programs like Apple Heath? What other apps are compatible with the Bowflex JRNY™ app?
- Can I use Bowflex Radio with the Bowflex JRNY™ app?
WHAT’S INCLUDED WITH THE PAID BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP SUBSCRIPTION?
- Dynamic Coaching – Max speaks directly to you, coaching and motivating you through personalized workouts.
- Customized Workouts – Max meets you every day with unique, personalized workouts adapted to your fitness level.
- Premium Video Workouts – Max offers a library of instructional, trainer-led videos recommended to you based on where you’re at in your fitness journey.
HOW DOES DYNAMIC COACHING WORK?
Max creates customized workouts personalized to you based off of your prior workout history. The goal of these customized workouts is to help you burn the most calories and improve your fitness, all while staying within the realm of your unique capabilities. This is accomplished by adjusting the difficulty (target burn rate) and length (time) of each workout. If you are surpassing or not quite reaching your calorie-burn targets, Max will encourage you to slow down or speed up to ensure that you’re staying on target, and will congratulate you when you accomplish certain goals along the way.
HOW DOES MAX TAILOR MY EXPERIENCE?
After taking your initial Fitness Assessment, Max adapts to your fitness level as you continue to complete customized workouts. Max uses a complex algorithm based on your previous calorie-burn history. By measuring how many calories are burned and how quickly they are burned, Max crunches this data and creates workouts tailored to your unique fitness level.
WHICH WORKOUTS ARE SUBSCRIPTION-ONLY?
Workouts that require a subscription include customized workouts and premium video workouts.
WILL THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP HAVE REAL-TIME CONNECTION TO MY WORKOUT?
Yes! The Bowflex JRNY™ App features real-time connection to your workout.
CAN I USE MY MAX TRAINER® M8 OR M6 CARDIO MACHINE WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION?
Yes! Your machine can be used without a subscription.
CAN I USE THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION?
Yes! The Bowflex JRNY™ App can be used without a subscription. You will have access to free workouts, free videos, Journal, and Awards.
WHICH WORKOUTS ARE AVAILABLE FOR FREE?
All pre-programmed workouts featured on your M8 and M6 machine consoles are free. Within the Bowflex JRNY™ App, the following pre-programmed workouts are free: Max 7 Minute Interval, Max 14 Minute Interval, Max 21 Minute Interval, Manual Workout, all workouts associated with free videos, and the initial Fitness Assessment.
CAN I STREAM MUSIC THROUGH ANOTHER APP WHILE USING THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP?
Yes! You can stream whatever you like in the background, such as Pandora, Spotify, etc.
HOW MUCH DOES A BOWFLEX JRNY™ SUBSCRIPTION COST?
- $19.99 monthly. Free two-month trial available during checkout. After the free trial ends, your subscription will automatically renew at the monthly rate unless canceled at least 48 hours before the end of the trial period.
WHEN DOES MY SUBSCRIPTION BECOME “ACTIVE”?
If purchased through Bowflex.com: As soon as you first log into the Bowflex JRNY™ App. If purchased through App Store/Google Play: As soon as you’ve completed your in-app purchase.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION PRIOR TO THE RENEWAL OR FULL-TERM OF PURCHASE?
Upon cancellation, you will still be able to use the subscription features of the Bowflex JRNY™ App for the remainder of your billing period, except in the case of a refund. At the conclusion of the billing period, your subscription will officially end.
HOW DO I CANCEL MY BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP SUBSCRIPTION?
If you purchased your subscription through Bowflex.com, choose any of the following three methods:
- Email Bowflex: Send an email to email@example.com with your login e-mail address and a request to cancel your subscription.
- Bowflex.com: Click here to unsubscribe online. Be sure to choose the “Bowflex JRNY Subscription Cancellation” topic to ensure we route your unsubscribe request appropriately.
- Phone: Call our Customer Service department at 1-800-605-3369.
If you purchased your subscription through the App Store or Google Play, follow the instructions below:
App Store: Navigate to Profile > Subscription > Follow account management instructions.
Google Play: Navigate to Profile > Subscription > Follow account management instructions.
IF I RETURN MY MACHINE WITHIN THE 6-WEEK SATISFACTION PERIOD, WILL MY BOWFLEX JRNY™ SUBSCRIPTION AUTOMATICALLY BE TERMINATED? WILL I GET A FULL REFUND OF THE SUBSCRIPTION PRICE?
Yes: Annual subscriptions purchased directly through our call center are eligible for a full 6-week satisfaction period. You will receive a full refund of the subscription price.
No: Monthly subscriptions purchased directly through Bowflex.com or our call center are NOT eligible for a full 6-week satisfaction period. You will not receive a full refund of the subscription price.
No: Annual and monthly subscriptions purchased through the App Store or Google Play are NOT eligible for a full 6-week satisfaction period. You will not receive a full refund of the subscription price.
WHAT DEVICES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP?
The Bowflex JRNY™ App is compatible with Apple devices on iOS 11.0 or greater and most Android devices with version 6.0 or greater.
HOW MANY INDIVIDUAL USER PROFILES CAN I SET UP FOR MY HOUSEHOLD?
- 4 User Profiles for M8
- 2 User Profiles for M6
IF I SUBSCRIBE, DOES THE SUBSCRIPTION WORK FOR ALL USER PROFILES ON MY MACHINE?
WHAT IS THE FITNESS ASSESSMENT?
The initial Fitness Assessment is a program that uses a single, short workout to determine what your first full customized workout will be. No matter your fitness level, the Fitness Assessment will determine your starting point on your journey with Max.
CAN I RETAKE THE FITNESS ASSESSMENT?
Yes! You can retake it as many times as you like.
IS THE FITNESS ASSESSMENT SUBSCRIPTION-ONLY?
No! The Fitness Assessment is available to all users; however, only subscribers will reap the benefit of the customized workouts created from the Fitness Assessment.
HOW DO I COMPLETE THE FITNESS ASSESSMENT?
- Start “Fitness Assessment”
- Warm Up
- Adjust resistance to what feels natural
- 100% effort for a short burst, then slow down. The purple triangle sets your maximum output.
- Hit the Red target for as long as you can hold it, then slow down. The Red target represents roughly 90% of your total effort.
- Hit the Orange target for as long as you can hold it, then slow down. The Orange target represents roughly 50% of your total effort.
- Hit the Yellow target for as long as you can hold it, then slow down. The Yellow target represents roughly 75% of your total effort.
- Recover for as long as you need!
- STOP button appears. Press STOP when ready to finish assessment.
ADJUSTING YOUR CUSTOMIZED WORKOUTS
HOW DO I ADJUST MY CUSTOMIZED WORKOUTS?
From the Home screen, you can adjust the difficulty by selecting “Easier”, “Harder”, or “Recommended”. This will change the target burn rate for a workout. You can also adjust the time/length of your customized workout to be shorter or longer.
HOW DO I GET MAX TO CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CUSTOMIZED WORKOUT?
The Bowflex JRNY™ App will recommend a new workout every 12 hours, or as soon as you complete a recommended workout.
WHY CAN’T I ACCESS CUSTOMIZED WORKOUTS PAST A CERTAIN TIME LENGTH?
Max encourages users to start with times which are recommended for their current fitness level. As you progress in your fitness journey, Max responds by granting you access to longer workouts. If you feel like the recommended time-ceiling for your custom workouts is too low, you can retake the Fitness Assessment at any time to reset.
CAN I PAUSE OR STOP A CUSTOMIZED WORKOUT?
Yes! Tap anywhere on the screen during a workout to pause. To Stop, tap anywhere to pause, then press “Stop”. Your progress will be saved to your Journal.
NAVIGATION WITHIN THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP
WHAT IS THE CHANNEL SCREEN?
The Channel screen is where video-led workout programming and entertainment content is located. This content is designed to help you enjoy your workout experience.
WHAT IS THE HOME SCREEN?
The Home screen is where you can access your customized workouts and featured content.
WHAT IS THE WORKOUTS SCREEN?
The Workouts screen is where you can choose pre-programmed (non-customized) workouts including Max 7 Minute Interval, Max 14 Minute Interval, Max 21 Minute Interval, and Manual.
WHAT IS THE JOURNAL SCREEN?
The Journal screen is where you can view workout history along with awards you’ve earned along the way.
PAIRING YOUR DEVICE WITH BLUETOOTH®
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY PAIRED MY DEVICE TO MY MACHINE?
- Select the Bluetooth® logo and tap on the name of your machine (M8 or M6).
- Once connected, the console on the machine will go dark and a Bluetooth® logo will appear.
- “APP CONNECTED” will display on the machine console.
I CAN’T PAIR MY SMART PHONE/TABLET TO MY MACHINE. HOW CAN I TROUBLESHOOT MY BLUETOOTH® CONNECTION?
Try the following steps:
- Make sure that Bluetooth® is turned on.
- Make sure that your Max Trainer machine is plugged in.
- Reboot your machine by unplugging it. Then plug it back in. It will take about a minute for your machine to start up completely.
- Force-quit the Bowflex JRNY™ App and re-open it.
- Reboot your smart phone or tablet entirely.
IS IT NORMAL FOR MY MACHINE CONSOLE TO GO DARK?
Yes! Once you’ve correctly paired your device with your M8 or M6 cardio machine, the console on your machine will go dark, and all stats and resistance settings can be viewed through your device during your workout.
WILL MAX RECORD MY WORKOUTS IF I’M OFFLINE?
Yes! To ensure that Max records your offline workouts, your Max Trainer will need to be set on the “User Number” associated with your machine. After the completion of any pre-programmed workout, “Workout Saved” should appear on your machine console. The next time you connect your Bowflex JRNY™ App to your machine, the app will automatically add offline workouts to your Journal.
GENERAL QUESTIONS AND TROUBLESHOOTING
WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS A BRIEF ISSUE WITH MY WIFI CONNECTION DURING A WORKOUT?
A pop-up will appear, indicating that there is no connection, and that the Bowflex JRNY™ App will continue attempts to reconnect. After 30 seconds, your workout will automatically stop and save progress to your Journal.
HOW DOES THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP DIFFER FROM THE MAX TRAINER™ APP?
The Bowflex JRNY™ App is compatible with the Bowflex® Max Trainer® M6, M8, and Max Total cardio machines. It includes both free and subscription-based features including real-time workout data, reactive coaching, and customized workouts. Single sign-on user accounts mean you'll never lose your data. The Max Trainer™ App is compatible with the Bowflex® Max Trainer® M5 and M7 cardio machines. It features Journal, rewards, and statistics AFTER a workout is stored on your smart phone or tablet. The Max Trainer™ App is free and does not include subscription options for real-time workout data, reactive coaching, or customized workouts.
WILL DEVELOPMENT CONTINUE FOR THE MAX TRAINER™ APP FOR M5 AND M7?
The Max Trainer™ App is currently available. Future plans are currently not defined.
CAN I SHARE MY USER PROFILE WITH SOMEONE ELSE IN MY HOUSEHOLD?
We do not recommend sharing your user profile with multiple users in your household. Subscription-based customized workouts and content recommendations are based on your workout history. In order to have the most personalized experience, we suggest one user per user profile only. The M8 comes with 4 user profiles and the M6 comes with 2 user profiles, allowing multiple members in your household to have their own personalized fitness experience.
CAN I DELETE WORKOUTS FROM MY WORKOUT LOG?
No, but this feature will be available in the near future.
HOW DO I ADJUST MY GOALS?
Profile > Manage Goals > Choose any goal under “Fitness Goals” > Save
HOW DO I RECOVER MY PASSWORD?
At the login screen, select “Forgot Password”. This will send a new confirmation code to your email address which can be used to reset your password.
WHAT DOES THE CONFIRMATION CODE EMAIL LOOK LIKE?
You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org containing your code in the body text of the email. You must enter this code in the Bowflex JRNY™ App to verify your account.
HOW LONG DOES THE CONFIRMATION CODE REMAIN VALID?
Your code is valid for 24 hours.
WHAT IF I FORGOT MY EMAIL ADDRESS?
Please contact our Customer Care team at 800-605-3369. We can try to look up your account using information you have available.
HOW DO BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP UPDATES WORK?
Updates to your Bowflex JRNY™ App will periodically be available within the App Store and Google Play store. We recommend enabling automatic updates on your iOS or Android device to ensure that you are always using the most up to date version of the app.
HOW DO MAX TRAINER FIRMWARE UPDATES WORK?
After connecting to your machine, you may see a “Console Update Required” alert. Follow these instructions to update your Max Trainer! Note that you’ll be unable to use the Bowflex JRNY™ App until the firmware update is complete.
- Tap the “Update” button in the alert.
- Read the requirements for a successful update.
- Press the “Start Update” button at the bottom of the screen. Scroll to the very bottom if necessary.
- When prompted by your Bowflex JRNY™ App, press the “Enter” button on your machine.
- When the progress bar is complete, “Update Complete” will appear with a green checkmark.
- Power cycle the machine by unplugging and re-plugging the power cord.
- After the machine powers up, check the console and if necessary, wait for additional updates to finish. If “Power Cycle” appears again, unplug and re-plug the power cord.
- If prompted, enter the User Profile information on the console (see your user manual for steps).
- “Get Ready” will appear on your console. Tap the finish button in your Bowflex JRNY™ App. It may take a few seconds to become active.
- Update complete!
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION?
Go to the Profile tab and look for “Subscription: Yes/No”. If you tap on this button, you can see if you are subscribed through Bowflex, Google Play, or the App Store.
WHY CAN’T I HEAR THE COACHING ON MY DEVICE?
Make sure the ringer is not on mute and that the volume on the Bowflex JRNY™ App is turned up.
CAN I USE BLUETOOTH® DEVICES FOR BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP AUDIO?
WHY IS THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP TAKING LONGER TO LOAD ON MY ANDROID DEVICE THAN IT USED TO?
Long load time means the computational ability of your device is low. Power cycling the device will speed up loading time.
WHY IS MY ANDROID DEVICE CRASHING WHEN I LAUNCH THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP?
Crashing can occur when the computational ability of the device is low. Power cycling the device will increase computational ability and prevent crashing.
WHAT DO THE SOUNDS/TONES THROUGHOUT THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP MEAN?
In most cases, the sounds/tones mean that it’s time to begin or end your current workout interval! You will also hear tones at the start of your workout, the end of your workout, and at milestones reached throughout your workout experience.
CAN I TURN OFF WORKOUT TONES?
CAN I MUTE MAX BUT KEEP THE AUDIO TONES?
Not currently, but this feature will be available in the future.
DO I NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET FOR THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP TO WORK?
The Bowflex JRNY™ App requires an internet connection for all functionality; however, your Bowflex Max Trainer machine does not require an internet connection.
WHAT DO I DO IF THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP IS STUCK ON THE LOADING SCREEN?
- Force-quit the Bowflex JRNY™ App and then re-open the app.
- Ensure that you are connected to your machine. Your console should be dark, the Bluetooth® logo in your Bowflex JRNY™ App should be blue (not red), and “App Connected” will appear on your machine console.
WHERE DO I PUT MY SMART PHONE OR TABLET WHILE USING THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP WITH MY MAX TRAINER MACHINE?
Your device goes over the dark machine console. Place your device over the top of the ridge at the base of your machine console, then slide the magnetic rack toward the top of your device.
HOW DO I NAVIGATE INSIDE A SCREEN?
Look for the “three horizontal line”, or “hamburger” button for a dropdown menu.
DOES THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP WORK IN LANDSCAPE MODE?
Smart Phones: Portrait mode only. Tablets: Portrait mode and Landscape mode are both available.
HOW DO I COMPLETE PROGRAMS NOT FEATURED IN THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP, SUCH AS “STAIRS”, OR “CALORIE BURN”?
These programs are only available on your Max Trainer machine, but if you complete these pre-programmed workouts with the user profile selected with your Bowflex JRNY™ App account, your workout history will be saved to your Journal the next time you sync the app.
FEATURES COMING SOON
HOW CAN I SHARE DATA WITH OTHER PROGRAMS LIKE APPLE HEATH? WHAT OTHER APPS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP?
Expect popular tracking apps to be available in the near future.
CAN I USE BOWFLEX RADIO WITH THE BOWFLEX JRNY™ APP?
Users with a Bowflex JRNY™ subscription will be able to access Bowflex Radio in the near future.
NEED ADDITIONAL HELP?
HOW DO I GET HELP, GIVE FEEDBACK, REPORT A BUG, OR MAKE A FEATURE REQUEST?
We’re happy to help! Please contact us within your Bowflex JRNY™ App via Profile > Feedback & Support. You may also call us during business hours at 800-605-3369.