The Ultimate Burger for a Healthy BBQ Season
Did I have you at burger? Thought so. I could eat off the grill year round. Seriously. I love everything about grilling season and summertime fare, warm summer nights, running through sprinklers with my kids, and long afternoons at the pool. BBQ season comes early and stays late where I live in sunny Southeastern New Mexico. The options are endless from grill-basket veggies to smoked ribs (thanks to a husband who makes AMAZING smoked meats) to salmon and grilled corn on the cob. This BBQ season is unique for me though. There won't be any mouth-watering ribs, brats, or juicy burgers (not even bunless), no sweet corn or yummy rubs and sauces because most contain some amount of sugar, are pork or beef, none of which I can have. I'll delve into my own recent dietary restrictions, something that is new and foreign to me even as a dietitian, in a series of June blog posts but for now if you are following a gluten-free, low sugar diet, AIP, or Candida diet (because you either must or want to), this blog is for you.
If you're looking to make this summer a healthier BBQ season, this recipe is it! My sad frown turned upside down when I made this.
Chicken Burger on Sweet Potato BunAdapted from The Paleo Running Momma
Nutrition per serving (including bun):
Calories 295Fat 18 gCarbs 12 gFiber 2 gProtein 22 g
- 1 lb ground chicken (I recommend chicken over turkey; it sticks together better)
- ½ cup shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup diced onion
- Spices of your choice: garlic powder, pepper, chipotle powder, cumin, paprika
- Avocado or grapeseed oil to coat
- 8 Slices of sweet potato (from widest part of sweet potato)
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, green chilis, condiments, avocado slices
- Mix ground chicken with spices in mixing bowl.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Brush with oil.
- Slice sweet potatoes. Brush lightly with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers and sweet potato slices for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from grill, place burger between 2 sweet potato slices, assemble with toppings, and enjoy!