Stronger Every Day: Austin Dinner Recipe
There’s far more to fitness than just working out. Nutrition is an equal partner in the fight to a healthier life. During the Stronger Every Day Austin tour, we partnered with Gather + Forge, Austin’s leading private chef service, to enjoy local, healthy food prepared by Chef Nicholas “Nick” Hymel. Chef Nick hails from South Louisiana. He received his culinary training in Thibodaux, Louisiana; Lyon, France; and Calabria, Italy.
After working in New Orleans for four years, Chef Nick relocated to Austin where he has been cooking for the past five years. Prior to joining Gather + Forge, Chef Nick was the Executive Sous Chef of Barley Swine, one of Austin’s top restaurants.
Nick and the Gather + Forge team taught the Bowflex Stronger Every Day team and our influencer team how to prepare delicious, local favorites in a healthy fashion. And best of all, these dishes were full of flavor and can be prepared on nearly any food budget. But a favorite of many during the event? Was the Gather + Forge team’s tostada recipe. Curious how to create the perfect South Texas tostada? Then look no further! Nick was kind enough to share his delicious recipe with us so you can make this at home.
Gather + Forge Tostada Recipe
- 1 lb fresh field peas (or any other fresh bean/pea)
- 10 g lemon
- 10 g garlic clove
- 80 g tahini, well mixed
- 10 g kosher salt
- 5 g freshly ground black pepper
- 10 g ground cumin
- 50 g extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Cook beans till tender, and food process all ingredients
- Poach shrimp in a flavorful liquid such as old bay, salt and lemon poach liquid. Chill shrimp and dice them.
- Cut zucchini into ½ inch planks and char hard on one side. The goal is to get different textures from one bite. So charred, into cooked, into steamed from charring, into raw.
- Then make a salsa type salad with even amounts of shrimp, zucchini, grilled corn, diced red onion, cilantro, lime, and good olive oil.
- To assemble, take a crispy tostada. Slather a generous amount of your healthy hummus, and top with the poached shrimp salad.
Did you enjoy this series? Next up on the Bowflex Stronger Every Day tour is the great city of San Francisco. See ya soon!