10 Resolutions You Can Start Now
Have you thought about your goals or resolutions for 2015? The holidays are already here, and it’s easy to overlook the opportunity for self-improvement ahead. Whether you’ve been planning all year, or are just now brainstorming your next steps, this is the perfect time to challenge yourself with a new health or fitness-focused goal.
Here are 10 simple resolutions and goals that you can get started on now:
- Get some rest. A full-night of sleep can deliver amazing results, both mentally and physically. Commit to at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night. This means pulling the plug on any electronics and setting a bedtime for yourself, if needed.
- Spend time with loved ones. Spending quality time with friends and family can impact you in a variety of ways. Positive relationships play a big part in our mental health. Use the holiday season to reconnect and make plans for the New Year.
- Aim for balanced meals. The holidays are one of the hardest times of the year to start a new diet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be aware of what’s on your plate. Aim for a full serving of veggies or fruit, try lean meats for protein and avoid too many extra carbs – no matter how delicious that stuffing might be.
- Find time for you. It’s easy to get caught up in the holiday rush, but don’t forget to stop for a breather. Set a goal to dedicate at least 30 minutes each day to you – whether it’s finding time to read the newspaper or taking a walk to clear your head.
- Explore new recipes. The New Year is a great opportunity to explore tasty new dishes. Start building a list now of delicious, healthy recipes you want to try, and then add one to your family’s holiday dinner menu. See here for some inspiration.
- Get out and move. “Working out more” is an easy resolution to make, but maintaining it is the real challenge. Find a routine that works for you, and use the holidays to jumpstart your new habit and keep it going into 2015.
- Find healthy snack options. This time of year, there’s no shortage of delicious treats and finger foods. But these snacks can really make a dent in your daily calorie intake. Resolve to find healthier snack options – like a handful of fresh veggies or nuts – that will keep you full without ruining your healthy habits.
- Practice mindfulness. Meditation can be a powerful way to stay stress free during the holidays and into the New Year. Dedicate 15 minutes every day – right as you get up or before heading to bed – to reflect on your day and clear your head before the next big thing.
- Smile and say thank you more. Boost your mood by practicing gratitude. The giving season is a perfect time to remind yourself to smile and say thank you for the little things.
- Find a fun new workout option. If you’re tired of your same old workout routine, the New Year is a great time to explore new options. Challenge yourself to try a new group workout class, training regime or workout machine to mix up your fitness efforts.
The Bowflex Insider Team wishes you a very happy holiday season!