Potato and Beet Salad – Healthy Picnic Recipe
Beets? In the staple potato salad at most backyard cookouts and summer BBQ's? Yes, beets do seem like an unlikely addition to an All-American classic side dish but for someone who is not a fan of beets (that's me!) it's surprisingly delicious. With the addition of beets, this lighter side dish pairs nicely along grilled meat or fish, veggies, and salad. Not to mention you get a healthy dose of fiber and antioxidants for just 60 calories for 1 cup of beets.
Potato & Beet Salad
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition per serving:
Calories 170Fat 6 gCarbs 23 gFiber 3 gProtein 6 g
- 1 pound of potatoes, Russet or Red
- 3 large beets, roasted or boiled
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- ½ small red onion, minced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Boil potatoes and beets for 10 minutes, or until soft; set aside and let cool.
- Mix vinegar through salt and pepper; whisk until well-combined and smooth.
- Mix potatoes, beets, celery, onion, and eggs.
- Poor vinegar mixture over salad, and stir to combine; sprinkle parsley on top.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and serve at room temperature.