5 Reasons to Get in Shape This Summer!
Since May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, there is no better time than the present to spread the word on the importance of physical activity. Together with our friends at PHIT America, we've put together a list of persuasive reasons you can use to motivate yourself, or a loved one, to get in shape this summer.
- Have more birthdays: It's no secret that physical activity leads to a longer life. People who do something as simple as taking walks on a regular basis live longer than those who don't. As a matter of fact, a recent study has shown that people who walk just 3,500 steps a day have a much lower risk of diabetes.
- Be a role model for your children: According to a recent study by the National Physical Activity Plan Alliance (NPAPA), the 2014 Youth Physical Activity Grade is a D-. So if you are a parent, your children provide an excellent motivation to be healthy. If you want to learn how to be a better fitness role model, you can check out Tom Holland's recent blog post.
- Fewer sick days: If you want to escape your daily rut and take a trip to Hawaii this year, you probably don't want to bring the flu with you. Regular exercise gives a boost to your immune system, resulting in fewer sick days.
- Say goodbye to anxiety: Depression and anxiety affect millions of Americans. Thankfully, research has proven the positive impact of physical activity in reducing anxiety levels. So next time you feel down or stressed, just put on those running shoes.
- Realize your strength: In case you didn't know, the human mind is incredibly powerful and often it's our own negative thoughts that prohibit us from achieving our goals. By committing to a physical activity regimen, you will see how much you are really capable of doing.