Mother's Day Recipe Tomato and Spinach Pie
Whether you're preparing this for a Mother in your life or mother-like figure, this simple veggie-packed frittata-like "pie" is perfect as a late-morning brunch main course served with fruit salad and/or a green salad.
Tomato & Spinach Pie
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 of pie
Nutrition per serving:
Calories 165Fat 8 gCarbs 11 gFiber 3 gProtein 12 g
- 2 cups pre-shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- Splash milk
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Press hash-browns into bottom of pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet or non-stick pan on medium high.
- Add tomatoes and onions, cook for 2 minutes; mix in spinach and cook until wilted.
- Spread vegetables over hash browns.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk and seasonings. Pour over vegetables.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until eggs are firm and slightly browned.
- Serve warm with salsa and/or avocado slices.