Take It Indoors: Workouts for When It’s Too Cold Outside
When the winter weather makes going outside too unbearable, you don’t need to give up on your workout! Take your fitness routine indoors to stay on track with your goals, while staying warm and getting out of the cold. Try these indoor, at-home workout ideas to work up a sweat:
- HIIT circuits or Tabata workouts can be an easy way to fit a simple, yet challenging, workout into your day. Find free workouts from certified trainers online, or try making your own circuit! Put 3-4 exercises together, like burpees, situps, jumping jacks and planks, and perform each exercise for 30 seconds to 1 minute, resting for about 30 seconds between each circuit before repeating.
- Do you have a home fitness machine, like the Bowflex Results Series treadmill or the Bowflex LateralX? Many of these machines have accompanying apps that provide tips, tricks and even full workouts. Try challenging yourself by completing a trainer-led workout, or if you need to take it easy, shorten the workout time or decrease the intensity.
- Core workouts require very little, if any, equipment to complete. Try full-body exercises like planks and pushups for an effective workout.
- If you’re seeking a more restorative or low key workout, try out a yoga or stretching video to keep your muscles loose and warm. There are many YouTube videos available from certified yoga teachers who can guide you through a routine while sharing reminders and instructions for performing a pose correctly.
- Stair climbing can be a quick yet challenging cardio workout: try running up a flight of stairs at a brisk pace 3-5 times to get your heart rate up. Time yourself to see how fast you can go, or if you’re looking to build endurance, try to see how many times you can climb those stairs before your energy runs out. Here’s a stair workout we put together for inspiration.