5 Easy (or Sneaky) Ways to Look Better This Holiday Season
The clock is ticking down to the holidays. While visions of sugarplums dance in my head, so do fantasies of looking fabulous in cute new holiday clothes. But I’m going to try to be realistic; there’s no way that any of us are going to realistically or healthfully drop two dress sizes by the holidays. So instead, I propose being creative about dressing to flatter the shape that you have now.
- It’s the holiday season, so let’s all try to swear off basic black. While darker colors are universally slimming, you can be more creative about how to wear variations of a little black dress this season. Try for black on your body, with embellishments like Swarovski crystals or pops of color at the bodice or sleeves.
- Sparkly shawls can be draped over problem spots. Drape jiggle-prone arms in festive shawls, and disguise that slightly bulging tummy under an extra fold of fabric or two.
- Comfort is king. It’s a good idea to try out your cute holiday shoes to see if they stand the cocktail party test of time. Can you stand on your feet for longer than five minutes? If not, consider shopping for stylish yet comfortable shoes. A small platform means that you can wear a slightly higher heel than usual without extra discomfort. Sling backs and peep toes can make even more practical styles look festive.
- Play with your hair. I saw the most amazing hair sprays that had touches of glitter. Even if you have to repeat your holiday look, you can dress it up or down slightly depending on your ’do. Braids are huge this season, so consider spraying only one section with sparkling hairspray before plaiting for an unexpected bit of shine.
- Highlight and Contour. If you’re feeling a bit puffy, try using a darker shading powder to hide your double chin. Sweep under cheekbones for a bit more definition (but only go one shade darker than normal skin tone or you’ll risk looking silly). Highlight brow bone, above the Cupid’s bow of your lips and on cheekbones to add a little bit of glow to your look.
Whatever you do choose to wear this season, try to sneak in a workout before the big event. You’ll feel tighter and look better, even if you indulge in an extra canapé or two!