Guiltless Seasonal Comfort Food: Part II
These comfy recipes can be made year-round, but they're especially enjoyable during the cooler winter months for breakfast or alongside a soup for dinner.
The natural flavor of sweet potato gives these hearty muffins plenty of sweetness, while helping keep the added sugar and fat content down.
Sweet Potato Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Servings: 9
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup mashed cooked sweet potato (about 1 medium potato), skin removed
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oat flour (blend or grind whole oats in food processor to make flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mix egg, sweet potato, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Add almond milk and stir.
- Stir dry ingredients (from the flour through the pumpkin pie spice ingredients listed above) until mixed well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition information per muffin: 180 calories; 27g carbs (3g fiber); 5g fat; 5g protein
If you're burnt out on oatmeal, take advantage of seasonal fruits to mix it up. This blend of sweet pears and tart cranberries with quick oats is a cinch to make and gives you a boost of Vitamin C. Topped with chopped nuts for healthy fats and a nice crunch, this bowl of oats will keep you going until lunch!
2-minute Nutty Cranberry-Pear Oatmeal
Prep Time: 3 minutes Cook Time: 1 minute Servings: 1
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (optional)
- ½ medium pear, diced
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans
- Optional: Honey and milk depending on taste preference
- Place ingredients oats through salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix in 1 cup water.
- Microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir and top with nuts.
Nutrition information: 300 calories (without honey or milk); 45g carbs (10g fiber); 5g fat; 8g protein