Back to School Recipe: Fruit and Veggie Muffins
Grab 'n go breakfasts don't have to consist of pastries, cereal bars, and store-bought waffles. Bake a batch of these nutrient-packed muffins on the weekend and pair with fresh fruit, a hard-boiled egg, or yogurt for a quick and energizing breakfast, fit for the whole family. These moist slightly sweet muffins are a great way to sneak in more fruits and vegetables to your kids', and your own, diet. They also make for a great afterschool snack and freeze well for serving later.
Fruit 'n Veggie Muffins
Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2-3 large handfuls of baby spinach, kale, or chard
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium peach, including skin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive or flaxseed oil
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bananas through oil in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and blend until well combined.
- Spoon ¼ cup batter into muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.