Friday Fives: April 7, 2017
In case you haven’t heard, April is Stress Awareness Month. Stress is known to have many negative side effects on your physical and mental health, including depression, chronic pain, as well as trouble concentrating and sleeping. That’s why it is extremely important to explore ways that work for you to de-stress and relax. Here are five of our favorite ways to relax, from health and fitness bloggers:
- Exercise is a known stress reducer and mood lifter. Channel your frustrations into this 10-minute workout created by Popsugar. It’s designed to reduce stress in a healthy way.
- When feeling stressed, many turn to food for comfort. However, many comfort foods can actually leave you feeling worse than before. That is why it is important to turn to foods rich in vitamins and minerals like these recommended stress-busting foods from Mind Body Green.
- If stress is effecting how well you sleep, try changing up your bedtime routine. Fitness Blender shared a relaxing total-body stretching routine that will reduce the physical effects of stress and promote better sleep.
- Cortisol, also known as the stress hormone, is released in the body as a response to external demands. If left untreated, cortisol can permanently alter the structure of your brain. Authority Nutrition shared 16 simple ways to relieve stress and anxiety.
- If you are feeling stressed, but can’t figure out why, it might be time to look at your diet. Some foods are known to increase feelings of stress or anxiety, Career Girl Daily shared a list of four foods that could be making you stressed.
Check out more Friday Fives for other great health and fitness articles.