Let's Go: Energy Bites
Whether you need a quick pre-workout snack or your kids need a nutrient-dense snack between school and activities, these portable energy bites will stick with you for lasting energy. Use all prunes, if you or your kids need help getting things moving on a daily basis, which is essential to maintaining a healthy gut and immune system! I also add these to lunches as a healthy “treat” for my kiddos, pack on road trips, or indulge myself if I’m craving something sweet.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Refrigeration time: 1-2 hours
Total time: 1-2 hours 20 minutes
Servings: 10-12 bites
Serving size: 1 bite
Nutrition per serving:
Calories 162Fat 9 gCarbs 18 gFiber 3 gSugars 7 gProtein 5 g
What You Need
- 1 cup prunes or pitted dates (or a combination)
- ¾ cup plain quick oats
- ¾ cup pecans or cashews
- ½ cup peanut butter (or any nut or seed butter of your choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dash of salt
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Optional: shredded unsweetened coconut
What You Will Do
- In a food processor, mix prunes and vanilla until a thick paste is formed.
- Add nuts to food processor and blend until nuts are finely ground.
- Pour prune/nut mixture into a bowl and add remaining ingredients; mix until well combined. If the “dough” is dry, add a teaspoon of water or honey.
- Form balls, roll in shredded coconut if desired, and place on wax or parchment paper in a food storage container.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before eating.
- Keep in fridge for up to 1 week. Keep in freezer for 1 month.