Breakfast on the Go: Coconut Muesli Recipe
Want a quick, extremely healthy breakfast? This coconut muesli is my go-to when I am in a hurry and want something quick and nutritionally dense. This recipe has 10 grams of fiber, 12 grams of protein and a quarter of your daily supply of iron.
Makes 10 Servings
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup raw almonds, sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried fruit with no added sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tsp honey (optional - see note below)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scatter oats and almonds on one baking sheet and the coconut flakes on another, and place in oven for 5 minutes. Watch closely, and remove out as soon as they begin to brown. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and thoroughly mix.
- Store in a zip lock bag or sealed container.
This cereal can be stored dry for several weeks, and is a great source of fiber, protein, whole-grains, and nearly a quarter your day’s quota of iron.
Note: For a quick morning meal, scoop out a ½ cup portion, and add ½ cup of almond or flax milk and a teaspoon of honey is optional to add before serving.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to check out our other easy and healthy recipes.