Breakfast on the Go: Coconut Muesli Recipe
Want a quick, extremely healthy breakfast? This coconut muesli is my go-to when I am in a hurry and want something quick and nutritionally dense. This recipe has 10 grams of fiber, 12 grams of protein and a quarter of your daily supply of iron.
Makes 10 Servings
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup raw almonds, sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried fruit with no added sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tsp honey (optional - see note below)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scatter oats and almonds on one baking sheet and the coconut flakes on another, and place in oven for 5 minutes. Watch closely, and remove out as soon as they begin to brown. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and thoroughly mix.
- Store in a zip lock bag or sealed container.
This cereal can be stored dry for several weeks, and is a great source of fiber, protein, whole-grains, and nearly a quarter your day's quota of iron.
Note: For a quick morning meal, scoop out a ½ cup portion, and add ½ cup of almond or flax milk and a teaspoon of honey is optional to add before serving.