Slimmed Down Clam Chowder
Nothing is more comforting than a warm bowl of hearty soup during the cold winter months. Clam chowder is a family favorite and this version replaces some of the potatoes with cauliflower, swaps heavy cream for milk of your choice, and adds diced bacon for a little crunch and extra flavor. The combination of Yukon gold potatoes, which are creamier in texture in my opinion, and cauliflower, makes for a smooth and filling bowl of chowder. The crockpot does the majority of the work so a hot meal is ready to go at the end of the day. Serve with side salad to round out the meal.
Shrimp and Clam Chowder
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 4–8 hours
Total time: 4–8 hours and 20 minutes
Nutrition per serving:
Calories 231Fat 7 gCarbs 24 gFiber 3 gProtein 20 g
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 whole large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 2 tbs minced garlic
- 3 whole Yukon Gold potatoes, Peeled and Cubed
- 1 head cauliflower, minced in food processor or 1 bag cauliflower rice
- 5 stalks Celery, diced
- 1 can chopped clams
- 2 cups of chicken broth or bone broth
- 2 cups salad shrimp, pre-cooked
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 6 slices cooked bacon, diced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped (optional)
- In a slow cooker add butter, onion, and garlic. Turn slow cooker to high while dicing potatoes, and celery. Cover and cook onion until it becomes translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes, cauliflower, and celery.
- Drain clam juice from canned clams and add juice to slow cooker. Store drained clams in refrigerator. Add broth.
- Stir potatoes and cauliflower well, and cover. Set slow cooker to high for 4-6 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- When potatoes are tender use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash half of the potato mixture in the slow cooker. Add clams and shrimp and stir well, cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until clams are heated through.
- Turn heat off and stir in milk. Once milk is added and warmed do not cook any longer.
- Serve immediately with bacon bits and green onions, if desired.