Apple Breakfast Cookies Recipe
The amazing apple: versatile, easy to pack, and a favorite staple at my house. From apple slices with peanut butter to applesauce to chopped apple in yogurt and oatmeal, apples are a fiber-rich sweet crunchy snack not only packed full of Vitamin C but also the less commonly known quercetin. Quercetin is only found in a few foods, including green tea, berries, onions, and apples, and it’s a powerful phytochemical with anti-inflammatory properties. What does this mean for you and your health? The old saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” holds a lot of truth!
Try incorporating an apple a day post-workout for quicker recovery (the quercetin and Vitamin C help quench the build-up of free radicals to reduce post-workout muscle soreness) or try these yummy apple breakfast cookies for an energizing on-the-go meal or snack.
(Side note: I took these to my son’s preschool for snack time and the entire class of 3-year-olds loved them!)
Apple Breakfast Cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serving size: 2 cookies
Nutrition per serving:
Calories 85Fat 2 gCarbs 14 gFiber 2 gProtein 2 g
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour or oat flour
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 chopped or grated apple
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tbs butter, melted or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbs maple syrup or honey
For oat floor: Blend ¾ oats in blender or food processor.
I prefer Granny smith or Honeycrisp and grating the apple so there aren’t chunks in the cookies.
Optional mix-ins: Raisins, fresh blueberries, shredded coconut, or chopped nuts or seeds.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray cookie sheet or line with silicone baking mat (my fav!).
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (apple through honey) and stir until well combined.
- Add mix-ins of your preference and stir.
- Place one heaping spoonful (about 1 tablespoon) of dough on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Be sure to check out our other recipes for more delicious and healthy meals.