4 Protein-Rich Carbs to Put On Your Plate
Getting adequate carbs is just as essential to gaining strength and muscle mass as protein, but carbs are often overlooked. Don't forget about the carbs! These protein-rich carbs will give you the most bang for your buck with an added bonus of some healthy fiber too.
- Quinoa: ½ cup cooked = 115 calories, 20g Carbs, 2.5g fiber, and 4g protein
- Use in place of rice or make into a breakfast cereal by adding chopped nuts, fruit, and cinnamon.
- Quinoa also contains iron and all nine essential amino acids, which other grains lack
- Beans and lentils: ½ cup cooked = 120 calories, 22g Carbs, 7g fiber, and 7g protein
- Add pinto and black beans to chili or as a side to Mexican dishes
- Add edamame (soybeans) to stir fry
- Add kidney, cannellini, and chickpeas to salads and soups
- Buy dry beans and make a big batch to freeze, or use low-sodium canned beans for a convenient option
- Wheat germ: 2 Tbs. = 50 calories, 6g Carbs, 2g fiber, and 4g protein
- Mix in a few spoonfuls to yogurt, oats or smoothies.
- Oats: ½ cup cooked = 150 calories, 25g Carbs, 4g fiber, and 6g protein
- Combine with fruit and nuts for a quick breakfast
- Use plain quick-cooking oats instead of instant oatmeal to avoid added salt and sugar