Celebrate Better Breakfast Month with These Delicious Almond-based Breakfast Recipes
September is Better Breakfast Month, and we are celebrating by sharing with you a couple of healthy and delicious almond-based breakfast recipes provided to us from our friends at the Almond Board of California.
The Almond Board of California is also running a Better Breakfast Challenge, encouraging people to post a picture of their favorite breakfast made with almonds on their website to win a year’s supply of almonds!
California Almond Granola with Golden Raisins
This simple recipe will turn breakfast into one bursting with gold. Sweet brown sugar, crunchy almonds and vibrant golden raisins take the everyday breakfast to a whole new level.
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup whole natural almonds
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Heat oven 350 F.
- Coat baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- In heavy, 3-quart saucepan over low heat, mix sugar, honey, sesame oil, cinnamon, vanilla and almond extract.
- Stir and cook just until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in oats and sesame seeds to coat completely.
- Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir; then sprinkle whole and sliced almonds on top.
- Bake 10 minutes to toast almonds.
- Cool in pan; then mix with cranberries and raisins in large bowl. Store airtight.
Top with creamy yogurt instead of milk. Top with your favorite fresh fruit. Make a quick cobbler by topping fresh fruit with granola and baking. This healthy granola offers vitamin E, magnesium and fiber.
Warm Almond Quinoa Breakfast Sundae
Gluten-free and vegetarian recipe.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 4 large apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup fat-free Greek plain yogurt*
- 1 teaspoon almond butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly in cold water and drain. Place the rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to a rolling boil. Turn down to low heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and add in cinnamon and sea salt.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cook almond milk until warm, about 3-4 minutes.
- Layer quinoa, slivered almonds, apples and yogurt in four serving glasses. Repeat until glasses are filled with quinoa on the top layer.
- Pour warm almond milk over the quinoa. Drizzle with warm almond butter and honey and serve immediately.
*Recipe can be made dairy-free by using dairy-free plain yogurt such as coconut milk yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt. Recipe can be made vegan by using dairy-free plain yogurt and omitting honey.